22b. The Diplodocus carnegiei Skeleton, 1901
The Diplodocus at the Carnegie Museum was the first sauropod skeleton to be mounted. A.S. Coggeshall, who was one of the co-discoverers of the first specimen in 1899, was in charge of the mount, and he had to devise a special steel framework to support it. This restoration inspired the American Museum of Natural History in New York to attempt a similar mount of their Brontosaurus, which was a much more difficult task, and was not completed until 1905.
Hatcher, John Bell. "Diplodocus (Marsh): Its osteology, taxonomy, and probable habits, with a restoration of the skeleton," in: Memoirs of the Carnegie Museum, vol. 1 (1901), pp. 1-63. This work was on display in the original exhibition as item 22.